194 restore 2 minutes

Which motorhome to choose with a B driving licence?

Campsite Ile de Ré > Camper tip > Camper B license

From the streamlined motorhome with its sleeping area above the cab, to the simple van ideal for two people, to the integral designed for families, there are many different types of motorhome. Can you drive them all with just a car license? Find out which motorhome to choose with a B license…

GVWR, the main criterion to take into account

The B license allows you to drive any vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of less than 3.5 tonnes, as long as it was obtained before January 20, 1975. Fortunately, the vast majority of motorhomes on the market have a GVW below this limit. As a result, you can drive them and even tow a trailer with a maximum permissible weight of less than 750 kg.

What should I do if my motorhome’s GVW exceeds 3.5 tonnes?

Motorhomes with a GVW exceeding 3.5 tonnes are considered to be heavy goods vehicles. To drive them, you need to pass your HGV license or take a few hours’ training to obtain the 96 endorsement.

What are the risks if I drive a motorhome with too high a GVW without a C license?

If you are caught driving a motorhome with a maximum permissible weight of over 3.5 tonnes on a B licence, you could be liable to a heavy fine. What’s more, you’ll be forced to unload the excess weight from your vehicle, otherwise you won’t be able to get back on the road.

Pay attention to empty weight and excess load

The empty weight, as the name suggests, is the weight of your motorhome “empty”. This weight does not include passengers, luggage or any equipment you install. The unladen weight is shown on the vehicle registration document. You need to know this to ensure that the GVW does not exceed 3.5 tonnes. For example, if the empty weight of your motorhome is 2.9 tonnes, the maximum permitted load is 600 kilos. Ready to hit the road? Discover our Ile de Ré campsite and its motorhome pitches.